As Head of Movement your task is to build on the consensus points of Africans Rising to date and inspire the building of a Pan-African movement of the future.
You will be part of an African team to promote and strengthen the effectiveness of African solidarity and integration, bringing together networks to build trust and cooperation amongst citizens and civil society leaders, for reflection and experience sharing in pursuit of the ultimate goal of eradicating poverty and injustice. The role will require you to provide leadership in the development of Africans Rising through the interlinked objectives in the Africans Rising vision document and, the Kilimanjaro Declaration.
This opportunity will appeal to an outstanding performer with the ability to lead a highly motivated and remotely dispersed team and, work creatively with the tensions and contestations of the diverse membership.
Qualifications & Attributes
You should have a primary qualification in social science, political science, international relations, journalism, or any other relevant field. While the usual tertiary qualifications and some demonstrable track record within the broad definition of civil society is desirable, the key attributes for the role include:
- A deep personal resonance with the Kilimanjaro Declaration,
- An abiding passion for the idea and energy for the work of building a non-traditional Pan-African movement of the future,
- Outstanding interpersonal skills and the ability to work collaboratively, flexibly and effectively in a small, dynamic team as well as a large diverse group,
- A track record and professional experience working in the human rights arena at any level,
- Experience with successful rights campaigns or evidence of leading a successful social movement,
- Ability to think and act calmly, quickly and, creatively under pressure,
- Excellent oral and written communication in English and at least one other widely used language on the continent, specifically: Arabic or French or Kiswahili or Portuguese,
- It’s a given that you will have brilliant public speaking skills, are active on social media and you accept that the role will involve a fair amount of travel within the continent, sometimes at short notice.
Prepare a 750 (minimum) to 1500 (maximum) word article on why the Kilimanjaro Declaration and vision document resonates with you. Please submit this is a separate MS Word compatible attachment.
Prepare a cover letter (of no more than 350 words) detailing why you’re the ideal candidate for the role. Kindly add a list of your current social media profiles at the end of this cover.
Attach a comprehensive CV, including references but without any attachments.
Mail the entire package to firstname.lastname@example.org
Given that you would have read and prepared a response to the Kilimanjaro Declaration and the vision document – please propose the remuneration you expect, bearing in mind a proposed upper limit of $35 000 per annual period.
Any major transit hub on the continent, including Dakar, Nairobi, Johannesburg, Cairo or other African location by negotiation.
Africans Rising is a nascent movement and as such, we require a minimum two-year commitment period.
Applications accecpted until the position is filled.
Terms and Conditions
Please check your application and make sure you meet all the essential criteria listed above, in addition your application will be stronger if you meet at least some of the desirable criteria.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted, if you have not heard from us within three (3) weeks of the closing date, please consider your application unsuccessful.
Thank you for your understanding.
We reserve the right to withdraw any of our vacancies at any time.
We reserve the right to accept applications until the post is filled.
For more information on the role or to request a job description:
Traumaine Govender, Ms.