We are seeking for an experienced Communication and Media Coordinator to foster an Africa-wide solidarity and unity of purpose of the Peoples of Africa to build the future we want – a right to peace, social inclusion and shared prosperity.
Africans Rising is a Pan-African movement of people and organisations, working for peace, justice and dignity. We are determined to foster an Africa-wide solidarity and unity of purpose of the Peoples of Africa to build the Future we want – a right to peace, social inclusion and shared prosperity.
Our vision, outlined in the Kilimanjaro Declaration; is a decentralised, citizen-owned future that will build support and solidarity for local struggles, local leadership and immerse activists in the grassroots work of building social movements from below and beyond borders.
- Devising a comprehensive communications and media strategy for Africans Rising, along with an execution plan and benchmarks.
- Preparing and issuing press/media releases for actions and activities of Africans Rising.
- Arranging media engagement opportunities for Africans Rising leadership and members to raise the movement’s public profile and promote the positions, programmes, campaigns and actions of Africans Rising and its members.
- Preparing, commissioning and coordinating media content in the form of opinion pieces, articles, blogs and other content output on the work and actions of Africans Rising and its members and have these placed in print media, on the African continent and globally.
- Devising written tailored media strategies for specific Africans Rising and members campaigns.
- Devising a media engagement guide for leadership, staff and members of Africans Rising.
- Work collaboratively with partners, members and supporters of Africans Rising and their media and communications teams to prepare and deliver Africans Rising content on their platforms and in their news channels.
- Provide global advisory support on all external directed communications of Africans Rising.
- Provide a weekly summary of media placements/mentions for Africans Rising in traditional media platforms.
- Coordinate the production or monthly or quarterly Newsletter on Africans Rising and its member’s works
- Develop a comprehensive data base media contacts across the continent and globally.
- Coordinate team of volunteers and Social Media and Digital Assistant to support Africans
- Rising and its member’s communication and Media work.
- Carry out another duty assigned to you by Head of Operations or Movement Coordinator.
Qualifications & Attributes
You should have a primary qualification in social science, political science, international relations, journalism, or any other relevant field. While the usual tertiary qualifications and some demonstrable track record within the broad definition of civil society is desirable, the key attributes for the role include:
- A deep personal resonance with the Kilimanjaro Declaration,
- An abiding passion for the idea and energy for the work of building a non-traditional Pan-African movement of the future,
- Outstanding interpersonal skills and the ability to work collaboratively, flexibly and effectively in a small, dynamic team as well as a large diverse group,
- A track record and professional experience working in the human rights arena at any level,
- Excellent oral and written communication in English and at least one other widely used language on the continent, specifically: Arabic or French or Kiswahili or Portuguese,
- It’s a given that you will have brilliant public speaking skills, are active on social media
Prepare a cover letter (of no more than 500 words) detailing why you’re the ideal candidate for the role. Kindly add a list of your current social media profiles at the end of this cover.
- Attach a comprehensive CV, including references.
- Mail the entire package to: [email protected]
2000 – 2500 USD per month
Community | Home | Virtual
Africans Rising is a nascent movement and as such, we require a minimum one-year commitment period.
Applications close on Sunday, 15th October 2017, 17:00 SAST
Terms and Conditions
Please check your application and make sure you meet all the essential criteria listed above, in addition your application will be stronger if you meet at least some of the desirable criteria.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted, if you have not heard from us within three (3) weeks of the closing date, please consider your application unsuccessful.
Thank you for your understanding.
We reserve the right to withdraw any of our vacancies at any time.
We reserve the right to accept applications until the post is filled.
For more information on the role contact details below;
Traumaine Govender, Ms.